Our Lady Flight Into Egypt ~ Mary is honoured as the Chief Patron of our Diocese of Port Elizabeth. In accordance with the official liturgical Pastoral Guide it is therefore elevated to a solemnity (big feast) for the local church and celebrated on the Sunday that occurs on 4th February or between the 4th and 10th February each year.
CARMELITES OF MARY IMMACULATE (CMI)
Fr. John Pullokaran , PO Box
40, King William's Town 5600.
Tel: (043) 643 3748, Fax: (043) 642 2073.
Fr. Varghese Kannanaickal, PO Box 18109, Quigney 5211. East London.
Tel & Fax: (043) 722 1801. Cell: 072 281 5333.
Fr. Davis Mekkatukkalam, P. O. Box 16452, GELVANDALE 6016
Tel. 041-4524674 (home) Tel. 041-4521505 (office)
Fax 041-4561857(h) 4561713 (o) Cell: 0827539505
Fr. Joe Chereath, P. O. Box 4413, KORSTEN 6014
Tel & Fax 041-4513446 Cell: 0728136099
ORDER OF FRIARS MINOR
St. Patrick's Parish,
P. O. Box 6, Grahamstown 6140.
Fr. Bill Lovett
Fr Nkosinathi Lawrence Njoko
Fr. Vincent Mduduzi Zungu
ORDER OF FRIARS MINOR (Capuchin)
San Francesco Parish,
4 Springfield Road, Charlo 6070.
Tel: (041) 367 1930, Fax: (041) 368 7187.
(Also Mother of Perpetual Help, Malabar)
Fr. Dominic Griego OFM Cap, P. O. Box 15685, EMERALD HILL 6011
Fr. Matt Gormley OFM Cap, P. O. Box 15685, EMERALD HILL 6011
Tel. 041-3671930 Fax 041-3687187
Mother of Perpetual Help Parish, P.O.Box 19246, Linton Grange 6015.
Tel & Fax 041-4572385
Fr. Ezio Venturini OFM Cap, Fr. Matthew Gormley OFM Cap
Baird Street, PO Box 1945, Uitenhage 6230.
Tel: (041) 992 1287. E-mail: email@example.com
Bro Christopher Zimmerman (Superior)
On 16 April 1867 five Marist Brothers landed in Cape Town
to start the first Catholic boys’ school in the Colony. They were
from four nationalities, and that became one of the characteristics of
our Order in this country. The Brothers arrived in Port Elizabeth in 1879
and set up their first little school at “Glendalough” in the
Baakens Valley before moving to St. Augustine’s, Prospect Hill in
1881. The Uitenhage College was opened in 1884 and the Johannesburg College
five years later. Br. Nectaire is noted for writing the first scientific
description of the world heritage site of Sterkfontein.
Over the years the Catholic population shifted and the Uitenhage College closed down and opened in Walmer in 1954. the day after the sale of the Uitenhage College to the Department, it burnt down. The Walmer College’s fate was even worse – it changed into a shopping mall.
The Brothers cooperated with the Cabra Dominicans from 1983 at Trinity High School for some ten years. In 1997 the Brothers returned to Uitenhage to maintain a 120 year old tradition of Marist life in the Eastern Cape.
ST. PHILIP NERI ORATORY
St. Philip Neri Oratory:
8 th Avenue, Walmer,
P. O. Box 5012, Walmer 6065.
Tel & Fax (041) 581 2035.
Very Rev. Fr John Newton Johnson (Provost)
Rev. Fr. Phillip Frederick Vietri
Rev. Fr. Gregory Paul Mitchell
Rev. Fr. Jonathan Ian Vermaak
Rev. Fr. Xolisa Nicolo Mafu
Rev. Fr. Grant Robert James
Rev. Fr. Henry Chibuike Enzenwanne
Rev. Br. Michael John Theron
MISSIONARY SISTERS OF THE ASSUMPTION (MSA)
Visit the Assumption
1. Arend Street, Assumption Sisters, P.O. Box 7585, Newton Park 6055
22 Arend Street, COTSWOLD 6045
Tel/Fax: 041 365 7782
2. PE, Assumption Sisters, 14 Buckingham Road, PORT ELIZABETH 6001
Tel/Fax: (041) 374-5622 General Email Sr. Carmel Email
3. Grahamstown, Assumption Sisters, P O Box 17, GRAHAMSTOWN 6140
(046) 622-3012 General Email
4. Port Alfred, Assumption Sisters, P O Box 35, PORT ALFRED 6170
Tel/Fax: (041) 624-1470 General Email Sr. Elizabeth McEvoy Email
5. Mthatha, Assumption Sisters, P O Box 845, MTHATHA 5100
Tel/Fax: (047) 531 3306 Sr. Loreto Email Sr. Geraldine Email
1. St Dominic's
PO Box 5025, Walmer 6065. Tel: (041) 367 1119,
Fax: (041) 368 7555. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Marymount Convent,
33 Dalton Avenue, Uitenhage 6230.
Tel: (041) 992 4816, Fax: (041) 992 5920. E-mail: email@example.com
3. Dominican Sisters:
35 Kobus Road, Gelvan Park 6020 PE.
Tel: (041) 452 7655. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Dominican Convent,
PO Box 73, Kirkwood 6120. Tel: (042) 230 0839.
At the request of Dr. Moran, Bishop of Port Elizabeth, to
the Sisters in Sion Hill, Dublin, the first six Dominican Sisters arrived
in Port Elizabeth in 1867 with the purpose of sharing the good news of
the Gospel. The six Sisters established Holy Rosary Convent (HRC) in Port
Elizabeth, from which were founded:
• Sacred Heart School, South End (1887) and St. Monica’s Mission School (1898)
• Maris Stella Convent (1938) in South End, St. Thomas’ Secondary School (1941) and St. Monica’s School (1959)
• St. Catherine’s, Summerstrand (1940)
• St. Brigid’s, Newton Park (1941)
• St. Joseph’s, Kabega Park (1959).
Because of the apartheid policy, St. Thomas’ was transferred to Gelvandale and the Sisters continued to serve there. St. Joseph’s School in Kabega Park is still a flourishing Primary School in the capable hands of lay staff.
In 1900 the Dominicans purchased property in emerald Hill. Many difficulties were experienced – lack of water, remoteness, poverty – but these did not daunt Mother Dominic Housley. Today the school continues to flourish after many historic changes which include the amalgamation of Priory High School with HRC and Marist Brothers High on the HRC campus and the subsequent return to Priory in 2000.
From the Priory St. Patrick’s Mission in Salisbury Park was opened (1922) and staffed by Sisters, until government policy prevented them from teaching there; in 1932 the Sisters started St. Finbarr’s Mission in Fairview. In 1941 St. Anne’s School began in Walmer and in 1954 the Sisters moved into the new St. Anne’s convent.
In 1887, at the request of the Bishop regarding the urgent need for Catholic education in Uitenhage, six Sisters from HRC arrived and in 1889 moved to the new convent in Baird Street, from where Mater Admirabilis School (now Uitenhage convent) and De Montfort High School (1948) were opened. St. Moseph’s Mission, St. Brendan’s Mission (presently Little Flower School), and St. Carthage’s were all staffed or supervised by Dominican Sisters. Little Flower moved to its present location in 1926, and in 1943 a convent and a hostel for African girls were erected: the nucleus of today’s Marymount. Since its beginnings Marymount had to battle for its existence due to government policy. Today they are flourishing primary and high schools with dedicated lay staff.
In 1944 the Diocesan Congregation of St. Rose of Lima (later to be amalgamated with the Cabra Dominicans) was established in Matroosfontein. They made their first foundation in Uitenhage in 1953 and from there began a close association with St. Joseph’s Primary School. Three Sisters served there as Principal.
When the Jesuits closed their mission in Dunbrody in 1933 a number of the people from that community settled around Kirkwood. In 1939, five Dominican Sisters opened St. Colmcille’s Mission School, followed by Mistkraal in 1942. St. Kevin’s Primary and St. Reginald’s in Westbank were founded from this community.
In 1982 three Sisters moved to Tsolo in the rural Transkei. With the priest they formed a very active pastoral community with many outstations. Development was one of their priorities and women were trained in different skills to sustain their families.
Currently the Cabra Dominican Sisters have four houses in the diocese and have largely changed from school involvement to other ministries. At St. Dominic’s Priory elderly retired Sisters are cared for, an ecological education centre is developing, and there is a flourishing school under lay management. From Gelvandale the Sisters are involved in parish life, retreats and spirituality, vocation promotion and development work, especially among the very poor in Kleinskool. Their house in Kobus Road has been extended to form a New Life Centre. Kirkwood has one Sister, widely involved in parish work and catechesis. The community in Marymount supports the schools and the Catholic Schools Office of the Diocese. The Sisters also work with the caring network especially focused on those suffering from HIV/Aids and support the poor.
There are 11 other Cabra Dominican communities in Gauteng, Swaziland and the Western Cape. The Sisters try to meet the challenges of a quickly changing society, responding to the Dominican motto: To Praise, To Bless, To Preach.
DOMINICAN SISTERS OF ST. CATHERINE OF SIENA (OP)
(King Williams Town)
Sr. Ann Smith
1 Kitchener Street, Cambridge, PO Box 3204, Cambridge 5206.
Tel & Fax: (043) 726 7736. E-mail: email@example.com
Regional Bursar: Tel: & Fax: (043) 726 3460.
Emmaus Retirement Home
Caring group: Sr. Seraphia Pichlmeier (Matron), Sr. Josetta Schmalzl, Sr. Beatrix Müller,
Sr. Margaret Nazo, Sr. Ricarda Breuer, Sr. Alacoque Hecker, Sr. Maureen Ho Yen.
Sr. Bertrand Singhammer, Sr. Coronata Zimmermann, Sr. Serena Wittwer,
Sr. Emily Russ, Sr. Infantia Neunzig, Sr. Patricia Durkan, Sr. Rogata Wurzelbacher,
Sr. Guido Waldner, Sr. Theresilla Wörle, Sr. Benedict Wurm, Sr. Gundisalva Andelfinger,
Sr. Auxiliata Gerster, Sr. Gulielma Lederle, Sr. Hildegard Steiger, Sr. Elizabeth Buis,
Sr. Agnes Mehlwana, Sr. Rosalie Vernon-Jones, Sr. Andrea van Hal, Sr. Claver Maier,
Sr. Rufina Hollweck, Sr. Simona Entius, Sr. Nicolette Baumgartner,
Sr. Francis Xavier Nxumalo, Sr. Scholastica Riedmeier, Sr. Deodata Otto,
Sr. Stephen Schneider, Sr. Anselma Nienaber, Sr. Pirmin Bislin,
Sr. Johanna Niedermann, Sr. Luitgard Prüllage, Sr. Orandis Fehrenbacher,
Sr. Ignatius Bradley, Sr. Regina Giwu, Sr. Juliana Sepiriti, Sr. Cecilia Ntliziywana,
Sr. Wilma Schiplage, Sr. Cordis Müller,
10 Croyden Road, Cambridge 5247 E.L.
Tel: (043) 726 8724, Fax: (043) 726 6865.
St Anne's Convent
Sr. Dolorosa Strobl, Sr. Hildegard Scheuermann,
Sr. Agnes Kreuzberg, Sr. Genevieve Walthers
6 St Andrew's Road, East London 5201.
Tel: (043) 726 2643.
Sr. Ceslaus Mecking, Sr. Aloysia Zellmann, Sr. Ann Smith, Sr. Rejoice Mkandla
6 Brabant Street, Cambridge, East London 5247,
Tel: 043 726 5100 Fax: 043 726 5100
Maria Hilf Convent
Sr Clementia Buqwana Sr. Salesia Nzimande, Sr. Albertina Nyusani, Sr. Avellina Ciya
Woodlands, PO Box 91, King Williams Town 5600.
Tel: (043) 683 1527.
Khaya Mauritia Convent
Sr. Bernadis Kreiner OP
PO Box 79, King Williams Town 5600.
Tel: (043) 642 1806.
St. Rose's Convent
Sr. Rosaria Malinga, Sr. BernadetteMohlaping
41 Lynley Street, Michausdal
PO Box 2014, Michusdal/Cradock 5884.
Tel: (048) 881 4951.
GOOD SHEPHERD SISITERS (RGS)
Helicon Crescent, Heath Park, Bethelsdorp,
Port Elizabeth 6001;
PO Box 17173, Saltville 6059. Tel & Fax: (041) 481 1857.
The Good Shepherd Sisters believe that each person is of
more value than a whole world, that each individual is loved infinitely
by God and needs to be free enough to know and experience that merciful
love. The mission of the Good Shepherd Congregation remains one of reconciliation,
of reaching out to people, especially women and girls, the marginalized
by society, or those caught in unfortunate circumstances, to help them
make something of themselves and to live happy and fulfilled lives. Five
Good Shepherd Sisters arrived in South Africa in May 1904 and settled
in Johannesburg, temporarily in a rented house in Yeoville, until September
when they moved into their simple wood and corrugated iron convent in
Orchards, five miles north of Johannesburg. The first Holy Mass was celebrated
on the 8th May, the birthday of Our Lady, after which the Catholics from
nearby began to attend Sunday Mass at the convent, the start of the future
Three Good Shepherd Sisters arrived in Port Elizabeth on 19th march, 1970, the feast of St. Joseph. The Bishop, priests and religious were most generous in every way in making their stay possible. The Bishop moved out of his house in Swartkops and gave the Sisters full use of it until the end of May 1971 when the Sisters moved into their own house in Algoa Park.
Initially the Sisters did home visiting and organized catechism classes in Gelvandale and Woolhope (now Malabar) and later also in Arcadia. They assisted with the establishment of the Theo Klassen crèche and supervised the crèche for a further five years. The Sisters helped with the rehabilitation of alcoholics and became involved with youth and catechesis as far afield as St. Rita’s (which at the time included Chatty and Bloemendal). After a period away from Port Elizabeth (1979 – 1982) the Good Shepherd Sisters returned to continue their ministry in Kleinskool and Booysen’s Park.
It is impossible to count the number of catechists who have been supervised and trained by the sisters, or the many ‘drop-outs’ and truants from catechism classes who have been sought out, the ‘lost sheep’ who have been followed up. In 1989 the Sisters moved closer to the people when the present convent in Bethelsdorp was built, making it much easier for both Sisters and parishioners to be in contact and meet. The Sisters became involved in skills-training of women in the fields of machine-knitting, sewing and other self-help projects. One of the Sisters was part of the team which initiated the Aids program in the Port Elizabeth diocese, a great expanding project.
In keeping with the Vision Statement of the diocese, the Sisters were involved in the ongoing education and formation in the faith of adults through catechesis, liturgy training and deepening of faith through retreats in order that the laity could take over. Today the Sisters are still involved in all these projects, with the aid of a devoted group of Lay Associates and other volunteer women, who work closely with the Sisters to reach out to those who need moral, emotional or physical upliftment
LITTLE COMPANY OF MARY(LCM)
1. LCM Convent
38 Macadam Street; PO Box 7344, Newton Park, Port Elizabeth 6055. Tel: (041) 365 5485, Fax: (041) 365 5484.
2. 5 Silver Oak Street, Algoa Park 6001; PO Box 11053, Algoa Park 6005. Tel: (041) 456 3745 Fax: (041) 456 4655.
information for Sr. Martha, Sr. Mary & Sr. Breda
P. O. Box 151, Addo 6150
Cell: 078 360 9002
"The Poor need help today not next week" said Sr. Catherine McAuley the foundress of The Sisters of Mercy. With "hearts centred in God" Sisters of Mercy today follow in Catherine's footsteps by reach out to help the poor in our world.
Through the kind intervention of Brother Christopher Zimmerman,
the Mercy Sisters contacted the Bishop to enquire whether their ministry
would be needed in our diocese. The Bishop gladly accepted and in March,
2006, Sisters Mary, Martha and Breda arrived, accompanied by Sr. Patricia
on their first visit to South Africa, to begin their ministry among the
Sunday’s River Valley communities. The Marist Brothers had assisted
with the renovation and extension of the Addo presbytery and the Sisters
have made Addo their new home.
The Sisters are actively involved in education – there are three farm schools in the area - they run soup kitchens and assist the poor, visit the sick and are loved and appreciated by the local community. Many community members are unemployed or seasonal workers on the citrus farms and poverty is rife.
Please contact the Mercy Sisters if you are able to assist in any way.
POOR SISTERS OF NAZARETH (NS)
Upper Dickens Street, Central, Port Elizabeth 6001.
Tel: (041) 373 1948, Fax: (041) 373 3487. Email
On 7th September 1882, five Poor Sisters of Nazareth
sailed from Southampton to Cape Town where at the request of Bishop Leonard
they were to found the first Nazareth House in South Africa.
To alleviate the plight of the poor in the city in the late 1880’s, a group of concerned Catholics met on 28th may 1888 to discuss the establishment of a House of Nazareth in Port Elizabeth. In February 1891 Mr. John Daverin purchased the adjoining property and generously presented it to the Sisters with the Title Deeds and receipt of all counts connected with the purchase. In 1892 the foundation stone of the first extensions were laid by Bishop Ricards.
Over the years various necessary extensions were completed to accommodate the growing number of aged and needy children of the area. These extensions included classrooms and dormitories and about 30 children were cared for and received their schooling at the home. Sixty years later 433 men, 397 women and 3545 children had been cared for in the Park Lane House. The local people are remembered for their generous support of the house with gifts of all kinds. These charitable contributions continue into the present times.
By 1993 the political changes in South Africa and the decline of vocations were affecting the management of the house. The children could no longer be accommodated and the care of the aged ministry was extended. There was also diminishing public and state financial support and the original historical building, which had stood empty for some years was rescued from threatened demolition when bought by the Diocese of Port Elizabeth in 2002.
The transition period presented new challenges – how to transfer and accommodate everyone into the more suitably designed modern facebrick building. The sturdy two-storey building with facilities to cope with about 50 frail residents, plus one emergency room was ideal for the Sisters’ new focus.
A Rights for Life housing scheme has been developed around the perimeter of the old sports field and there are 12 cottages for independent senior citizens.
The Sisters relinquished their chapel and convent home filled with many memories. They moved into the renovated single story building that had originally been a laundry. A small Chapel was provided as part of the Convent and a large lounge on the ground floor of the residents’ building was renovated for use as the residents’ chapel.
Nazareth House is still very dependent on charitable donations and anyone able to assist is asked to contact the Sisters.
Remember the Diocese in your will. Read more ...